Reminder: Support for ETAs Will End On June 30, 2022
Google ads announced last year about the coming discontinuation of expanded text ads (ETAs) and responsive search ads (RSAs) will be the main format for text ads
A part of this upcoming change is advertisers won’t be able to create or edit expanded text ads. However, if you already have an existing ETAs prior to this update then those ads will continue to serve and you’ll still be able to see reports on their performance going forward.
Additionally, it will still continue to serve alongside responsive search ads and you’ll be still able to pause and resume them if you feel the need to.
What should you prepare for as an advertiser?
Since ETAs are going away soon, it is recommended to have at least one RSA on each of every ad group in your search campaigns before the deadline June 30, 2022.
According to Google, advertisers have seen an average of 7% of more conversions at similar cost per conversion after switching from expanded text ads to responsive search ads while using the same assets.
Additionally they provided a list of best practices for responsive search ads:
- Repurpose high-performing content and focus on reaching ‘Good’ or ‘Excellent’ Ad strength. Ad strength basically tells you the effectiveness of your ads and provides action items on how you can improve them.
- Checking the Recommendations page. You can check your campaign’s recommendations page and you will be able to see customized suggestions that can help you improve your responsive search ads.
- Make it a habit to Pin headlines or descriptions. This is handy especially that ETAs are going to be discontinued. Additionally, this is helpful when you wanted a specific ad copy that needs to be shown first. Pinning gives you the option to pin title and description to 1-3 positions.
- Always use ad variations. This is quite helpful if you wanted to test different versions of your assets and review the performance across your campaigns.
- Review cross-campaign asset reporting. Why so? This is to understand which assets in your ads such as headlines and descriptions resonate the most with your potential customers. You can always improve your responsive search ads by replacing the “Low” rating assets with new assets that are solely based in your rated as “Best” performing assets.